Common questions on Calvinism ... part three



I recently received a series of questions from a good friend dealing with some issues/objections she had with Calvinism/Reformed Theology.  I truly appreciated the opportunity to share what I explicitly believe in the realm of the Doctrines of Grace with her, and humbled she came to me to know how a Calvinist deals with each of these questions.  This is a continuation of this series.

Because these questions are quite common inquires into Reformed Theology, I figured it would be profitable to the body of Christ for me to post my answers here as well.  Perhaps I will continue on beyond her questions in writing on/replying to other objections common to Calvinism.  Again, I hope this is useful to all who read this.

Question #3:
How does this affect your approach to ministry (ie: the homeless guy sitting on the side of the road)?

It gives me a great boldness in the presentation of the gospel.  I can firmly proclaim the truth, unwatered down, because I am assured that all the Father gives to Jesus will come to Christ; that person shall never be cast out, and that Christ will raise that person on the last day (John 6:35-44).  I have assurance that God will use my sharing the gospel to accomplish all of his purposes.  It isn’t my fault if they don’t respond to the gospel… they are not rejecting me, they are rejecting God.  I offer them the good news of Christ’s saving work to atone for sin, that if they repent and believe they will believe, they will be adopted into the family of God.  I share them the law of God – which shows their wickedness and that they are actually bad, not good.  Then I share the news of God’s glorious grace. :-)


The gospel is just that: good news.  Not good news about me – I am not the gospel!  The gospel isn’t something that happened to me.  It happened 2,000 years ago.  The sharing of the gospel is telling the wondrous news of what CHRIST did to save sinners: his death, burial, and resurrection, atoning the sins of all who repent and believe.  Because of the Doctrines of Grace, as it were, I can proclaim this message with boldness, without fear.  Will some be turned off by the message?  Yes, because their hearts are hearts of stone.  But I know God, not I, will not allow his word to return void.  He is the one who can take my pitiful voice or words, proclaiming a “foolish” gospel, and turn their hearts of stone into hearts of flesh.

We don’t talk people into becoming Christian… we share the good news of God’s glorious grace when they are made aware of their wretchedness before a Holy God, and God does the work of bringing them to repentance and faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One