Various thoughts on the cross of Christ

While attending The Journey this summer, I received several inserts in bulletin inserts containing amazing quotes.  Currently I am using one of these inserts to read CS Lewis' Surprised By Joy:  The Shape of My Early Life.  In any case, this particular collection of quotes are amazing reflections/insights into the importance of the cross of Christ, where the gospel resides.  I will proceed to post these as status updates on facebook, but I wanted to write them down in a more organized location also.  Here they are, in the order presented on the page.

"The essence of sin is man substituting himself for God, while the essence of salvation is God substituting himself for man.  Man... puts himself where only God deserves to be;  God... puts himself where man deserves to be."
- John Stott, The Cross of Christ.

"Learn to know Christ and him crucified.  Learn to sing to him and say, Lord you are my righteousness, I am your sin.  You took on you what was mine; yet set on me what was yours.  You became what you were not that I might become what I was not."
- Martin Luther

"Man is alienated from God by sin and God is alienated from man by wrath.  It is in the substitutionary death of Christ that sin is overcome and wrath averted, so that God can look on man without displeasure and man can look on God without fear.  Sin is expiated and God is propitiated."
- David Wells

<><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One