Common Questions On Calvinism ... part two


I recently received a series of questions from a good friend dealing with some issues/objections she had with Calvinism/Reformed Theology.  I truly appreciated the opportunity to share what I explicitly believe in the realm of the Doctrines of Grace with her, and humbled she came to me to know how a Calvinist deals with each of these questions.


Because these questions are quite common inquires into Reformed Theology, I figured it would be profitable to the body of  Christ for me to post my answers here as well.  Perhaps I will continue on beyond her questions in writing on/replying to other objections common to Calvinism.  Again, I hope this is useful to all who read this.


Question #2: How do you know Ryan Gill is a chosen one (a member of the elect)?

How do I, Ryan Gill, know I am "numbered among the elect"?  Simple:  I have responded to the Gospel call (to turn form my sin and believe/trust in Christ's atoning work alone to save) by repentance and faith.  I do not trust in my work to save, but only in God alone to save me.  I do believe in Christ, and therefore I have eternal life (John 3:15; 6:47).  In light of John 6:44 & 65, I know I CAN'T come to Christ unless the Father draws me.  I came to faith in Christ as a direct result of the Father drawing me... like a fisherman draws his net full of dead fish upon a shore.  ... And this may not be very "Baptistically correct" ... but I can also look toward my Baptism... for in my Baptism I was "buried with Christ in baptism, in which I was also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised me from the dead" (Colossians 2:12).  And because of this, I also have assurance that I have been sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, a guarantee of our inheritance (Eph 1:13-14).  I know I am "chosen" because I desire the God of Scriptures... and I would hate him if I were still in my sins.

For a more articulate explanation... check out the following video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One