Difficult 1 Kings passages illuminated by good Study Bibles

Even though I tend to own a fair number of Study Bibles, I tend to often read the text of Scripture by itself.  I do not know if this is out of a desire to read the passage uninterrupted by stopping every few verses to read the commentary, OR if is due to my not wanting to re-read an entire section a second time, this time actually reading all the commentary provided on the given selection.  OR it could be that both the ESV Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible are fairly hefty, and I would rather carry around a thinline Bible.  Either way, generally these helpful tools stay at home when I read.

Yesterday, however, as I was reading through 1 Kings, I was in great need of good study notes.  (Actually even mediocre study notes would have done, and did do for my own curiosity, as I read the notes in the NIV Study Bible, just to see what was written there).  I am sad to admit I had never so much as opened my Bible up to 1 Kings or 2 Kings for that matter that I am aware of.  No, I never completed a trek through the Bible in a year or 3.  And while I have read through the entire New Testament, a fair number of times probably, the Old Testament remained as somewhat of an intimidation to me.  However, as it is all God's Word, I decided to get over it.  And while it is useful to read Romans and Ephesians a great number of times, I found it difficult to concentrate in these amazing books when I knew there were other words breathed out of the mouth of God I had never read and studied.

My first instance of "needing" the study notes of my Study Bibles came from 1 Kings 2:13-25.  A relative of the newly kinged Solomon requests for the hand of a woman in marriage.  This request came from Bathsheba, Solomon's mother, as Adonijah did not have the guts to make the request in person... and he was sure that the king would not deny his own mother's request.  The king even himself said he would not deny her (v. 20).  However once the request is made, Solomon (seems to) overreact and order for Adonijah's death!  I read this, and I was fairly confused by this ordeal.  Why kill over such a question?  Isn't that a little harsh?  My faithful study notes (all the notes from my Bibles agreed with this reasoning) pointed to Adonijah's request for this particular woman, how he was requesting to marry a virgin from the late King David's harem.  This would seem to legitimate some claim to power and pointed to political aspirations Adonijah had against the king.  Clearly, Solomon saw this request as being a wicked one (1 Kings 1:52) and killed Adonijah under suspicion to conspire against the sovereign king.  A surface reading of this seemed to indicate Solomon was a little grumpy that morning... rather than his good reason for putting this man to death, as is brought out in the notes.

My second reason for thankfulness toward the study notes comes from a little later on in the book.  In 1 Kings 6-7, the reader is treated to a very detailed blue print, in essence, of the Temple and its furnishings (as well as Solomon's palace, of course).  This is great for the person who can visualize dimensions and designs with great ease in his or her mind.  For a more visual person?  Not so much fun.  I had a very difficult time visualizing what was being described on the paper...After all, the building is meant to be seen, not merely read about, right?  Amidst my frustration, I remembered a beautiful painting within the pages of the ESV Study Bible... depicting the Temple in GREAT detail...


 Yes, the words have been cut off, because at this size no one would be able to really read them anyway.  However, THIS gives a great indication as to what the Temple Solomon built really really looked like.  Most Study Bibles... including my Reformation SB... only give maybe a sketch of the building from above... the basic lay out.  Or maybe there is some more detail, but surely it is not in color with any amount of detail.  But this depiction is... wow.  Amazing.  I did not have to wonder any more what exactly I was reading.  I remembered this layout and suddenly what I was reading on the page of God's Word made sense.   Additionally... what other Study Bible would make such a resource available to owners ONLINE for use anywhere you have a connection?  Amazing.

I greatly encourage the use of a good Study Bible... and while they may be a bit too hefty for some, they are amazing resources for the body of Christ to use and cherish.

I'll include a couple of introductory videos to a couple of my favorites...

ESV Study Bible


ESV Reformation Study Bible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One