Are You Wasting Your Life?

Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?  But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.  And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.  We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised if it is true that the dead are not raised.  For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised.  And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.  Then those who also have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.  if in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
- Paul, 1 Corinthians 15:12-18 (ESV)

Paul said if Christ ain't resurrected then we wasted out lives /
  but that implies that our life's built around Jesus being alive.
-Lecrae, "Don't Waste Your Life"


The lyric penned by Lecrae above should really cause you to think.  It really causes the passage in 1 Corinthians 15 to stand out I think.  I was aware of the portion very well that says if Christ is not resurrected, we should be pitied.  If it could be shown that Jesus was not actually raised, then we are FOOLS for worshiping to resurrected Jesus!  Heck, if Jesus was not raised... would you still be a Christian?  If it could be proven... there is no way I would persist in the faith.  Hedonism, I would greet thee with open arms!  If Christ has not been raised, we are the dumbest people to walk the planet.

But the second line from Lecrae caused me to think about the Scripture in a clearer way.  For us to be considered fools for thinking Jesus has been raised, if he had not been raised in truth, our lives would HAVE to be FOCUSED on Jesus actually being risen!

I wonder how many professing Christians would affirm with their mouths that this is true- that Jesus is risen, but they do not have their life truly centered ON that wonderful truth?  What we do is to be focused on Christ.  What I do should be focused on Christ.  God has given me the ability to write for the cause of Christ... yet I have not blogged in quite a while... have not used this God-given tool to proclaim Christ and him crucified for our sins and resurrected from the grave for the glory of God.  God has given me the mouth to speak, but how often have I remained silent about the gospel I cling to for my salvation?

It is certainly easier to sit and not work for the cause of Christ.  Personally I dream often about building a better computer... getting a new iPod... seeing the next movie I am interested in... etc.  So many distractions are available to us.  But our lives are but a flash in the pan of eternity.  And I'm not interested in wasting this life the God has graciously given me.

I am not trying to be legalistic about this or come down on anyone else's case.... I'm talking about where I'm at in this point in my life.  I really don't want to waste my life chasing the wind.  I want to be working for the cause of Christ... to grow in His righteousness.

<><

A helpful resource would be checking out John Piper's book "Don't Waste Your Life."




"Don't Waste Your Life" - Lecrae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One