"How Can God Be Good and Still Allow Bad Things to Happen?"

It was sometime last week I was sitting next to my friend Elise during our Apocalypses course when the issue of Theodicy came up. It arose when our instructor mentioned the question that many must struggle with: "How can God be just/good and allow bad things to happen to people?"

This question is odd to me. I am not truly sure if I am relaying it correctly, or if my memory is going bad. But if I had related the "problem" correctly as previously stated... it is something I struggle with. It is not something I struggle with as most people probably struggle with. I would venture to guess most people who struggle with such a question are at odds with some apparent contradiction between God being a good/loving God and a just God and his action of permitting evil or bad things to occur. I suppose these individuals who are baffled by such a conundrum fret over God's inability or unwillingness to wipe evil away off the face of the earth for good... RIGHT NOW (or a long time ago... whenever it would be done). If God really loved us, then things would be better on this planet in this life, right?  

I have a problem not with trying to solve the problem the question asks.  I have a problem with the question itself.  A problem with what the question implies about God, his justice, his sovereignty, his goodness, and the state of man.

I would continue, but nothing I could possibly say would spell it out as beautifully as Preacher Voddie Baucham did in this video.  He speaks the truth.  So to get my thoughts on this "problem" of theodicy... check out the video posted below.



<><

Comments

  1. Enjoying your blog...hope we get a chance to talk more in person someday...life is crazy busy right now ;)

    In Christ Alone,

    Sage Acorn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One