Where I Take My Refuge

Psalm 118:8-9
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.

I read this passage while doing my quiet time in the Word a few days ago. It really struck me in a comforting way, especially considering the election season we are in. I know I have at LEAST spoken on this issue of being comforted and the election... but I feel I should blog on it again. It is easy to forget that God is sovereign and in control. I think that is why we are often refered to in the Bible as "sheep." Sheep are not the brightest animal on God's green earth. Really. They're kinda dumb. You have them stay in an area and they wander off... the shepherd has to go over, pick them up and set them back down. Then sooner or later, the process is repeated when the sheep wanders off again... over and over this happens. So it is NO surprise that God would have to keep reminding me through His word of His sovereignty and control.

I am terrified of Obama. Really. I am terrified of anyone who can get SO popular with people (especially "Evangelical Christians") while affirming the mother's right to slaughter her helpless defenseless babe, because of where the pre-born is located. I am terrified of his HUGE amount of tax increases. I am terrified of how his empty rhetoric filled with basically "Change" and "Hope" stir people into a frenzy. What substance is there? How about none? The thought of him becoming our next president honestly terrifies me.

It would probably keep me up at night if it wasn't for this fact: it is better to take refuge in the LORD. It is better to rest in God's grace than place our hope in political leaders. People are following Obama as if he is their savior who can fix EVERYTHING that (they perceive) is wrong with America. Really? I do not mean to say this ONLY about Obama... any politician who people get UBER enthused about... Now, am I excited about this election? yes. Do I support McCain? Yes. However, there is messianic language surrounding Obama that few (if ANY) candidate for President has had thrown his way.

Again though... while I am enthused about this race, and PRAY that McCain wins the office... I cannot allow myself to become absorbed entirely by the process. But the pundits... by the commentators... by the Fox News polls... I can't. If I do, I will begin to place my hopes for society and economy... my hopes in our way of life in one man: the President. I will look to him as the refuge to keep me safe. I will look to him to supply my needs. This robs glory from God, and it is idolatry (which is WHY I support minimalistic gov't involvement in our lives... ala no universal health care, nixing welfare, etc).

I cannot place my full hope in a man... a prince... or in our case a president or congressman. I would much rather place my trust in Christ alone.


A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he amid the flood
of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

Comments

  1. Ahh, such a great hymn at the end there.
    This was an excellent post. I haven't been around that kind of election mania in a while. In South Dakota people don't get whipped into a frenzy as they do in say, California. Or um... Missouri?
    It's refreshing to not be around it for once.
    Stay faithful man! God is the only one who can REALLY change anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much agree!

    And yes, I would like to make you a header. It just needs to be simple :) Send me an email about it (to my gmail account).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One