*EDITED* The Bible Is Dangerous....

When I moved into the dorms here in Sunvilla Tower at Missouri State University, I decided to go online to www.biblegateway.com to add the search feature to a friend's Firefox 3.0 search bar. Upon the page loading, I was directed to the following page:

bible is dangerous

I am unsure if this is some kind of sick joke... or if it was really submitted... or a combination of both. Did someone really go to this Malware Domains site and submit the BIBLE as DANGEROUS?

I have emailed the Information Security Coordinator at Tech Projects:


I do not understand how www.biblegateway.com -- an online Bible with MANY different translations in English and other languages, constitutes "a source of spyware or malware that could harm your computer."

It's the Bible... is this some kind of joke, or merely an over site? I tried to click the Malware site to report biblegateway.com as genuine.... but I cannot find a page to report good sites.

Again... it isn't a malware site. It's a Bible.

That was yesterday. I have received no reply.

I went on to email the malware site owner today:

Upon trying to access BibleGateway.com, an online Bible site, I was stunned to see this site had been blocked because it appeared on your malware list.
Is this some sort of sick joke? That site contains NO malware. If so, what kind of malware does it contain? This page contains hundreds of translations and versions of the Bible in many different languages. Nothing more. Why has it been blocked? What threat does it pose?
I am not sure this was some sort of display of trickery to infringe on my right to free speech and religious freedom... But it certainly does seem to have an anti-Christian agenda to it.
Again, PLEASE, REMOVE BIBLEGATEWAY.COM FROM YOUR BLOCKED LIST.

I find this greatly disturbing. Did someone who hates Christianity actually submit biblegateway.com to that malware watch site as a joke? If it does have malware, WHAT IS IT? Where is the acountablility? They say it's a dangerous site... so then it IS dangerous? What specifically about that site is harmful to my computer?

This is censorship worthy of China... it is dispicable. I am minutes away from emailing the president of the university and anyone else I can tell of this injustice. Again... I can't judge the motives of the site. It may be a mistake. But either way, it NEEDS to be fixed.

<><


*EDIT* -- August 24 1:12pm

As Nic Perry informed me, the site has been fixed! :-) I did receive an email from malwaredomains.com informing me that it was not meant to be an "anti-Christian" move, and that it was an unintentional misunderstanding. It has been removed from the norton list and the malwaredomains.com list of dangerous sites. We now have access. I did not mean to accuse malwaredomains.com of being anti-Christian. I was merely confused as to how the site could be considered to be malware. However, the situation has been fixed. Thank you malwaredomains.com. :-)

I would like to address Daniell's comment that I "automatically assumed it was an attack on my religious freedom." This is kinda funny... I did NOT assume. I stated repeatedly that I was NOT assuming it was an attack. I said it seemed like it could be, but I thought I was clear that I was stating that I was willing to accept it as merely a mistake. I am aware that not everyone is "out to get me" because of my views. I did not know my emails were "nasty"... I just tried to be to-the-point. That is all.

I am glad this site is now allowed for access to campus students.

Still... it is ironic that the Bible was listed as a "dangerous site." lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One