Random thoughts on Titus (pt 3)

I thought I may try something out that I've seen on some other blog sites with regard to films... they will watch a film and make comments on that film while watching on a blog and post that. So I thought I'd try the same thing with Titus, the book I read tonight for my time with God. This may be disastrous... but it may be FUN TOO! lol.

If you would like to follow along, I will list the verse I am commenting on... but it is best to have a Bible in front of you or opened in a new tab in Firefox (and I know ALL my readers use Firefox... you had better!)... I'll be using the English Standard Version (ESV)... the favorite of Mark Driscoll and John Piper, as well as my favorite English translation.

This is my third and concluding entry on Titus. I would encourage you to check out the postings on Titus 1 and Titus 2. I hope this little series has been a blessing to you. Now... on to Titus 3!


3:1 -- Yes, that means you should obey traffic laws and NOT mouth off to police officers. I don't care, friend, how rude or immoral they are. You are still charged to be submissive to the rulers and authorities.

3:2 -- Ugh... more thing about avoiding quarreling and commands to be gentle and courteous! ::sigh:: Something tells me I will keep running into these exhortations such as these until I get it right. I desire everyone to grow in holiness... but I wrongfully think that if they aren't where I am in the process by NOW... something is wrong with THEM! Who made me the standard of which to judge a believer? Is that not what we have the Holy Bible for? It is. I am not the judge... the Word is. "Courtesy toward all people." That means everyone... fellow believer or an unregenerate hater of God... .like the "Pastafarians."

3:3 -- A very good description of the unregenerate man. I know I was all of these things... "foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions," and so forth. This is EVERY man prior to regeneration. Man is NOT "basically good at heart" as Anne Frank claimed.

3:4-5 -- Everyone was a slave to various passions... UNTIL GOD SAVED US ACCORDING TO HIS OWN MERCY! There it is! Regeneration. You were spiritually dead once and then Christ saved you... NOT because of anything you have done; not because of any works or piousness or sacramental system. So why then? Because of HIS OWN MERCY. Basically, because he felt like it! He, showing his goodness and loving kindness, gives regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit to those he wishes. You can't earn it. He elects because he wishes to.

3:6 -- Salvation is through JESUS CHRIST ALONE. He is the only Savior this world will ever know. Buddha cannot save. Shiva cannot save. Allah cannot save. Atheism cannot save. If you are slaves to any of these worldviews, I pray you repent and put your trust for salvation in Christ alone.

3:7 -- Who are the heirs? Christians. Because of our sin, we need atonement. We cannot earn it. But we are justified through the work Christ did on the cross. Not through his institution of the Lord's Supper. Not through some kind of physical sacrifice of the body and blood of Christ every week on some alter in a Catholic church. But only by his gracious work accomplished on the cross of Calvary.

3:8 -- Good works do not save you. However the good works are a fruit of the genuine believer. If there is NO fruit, perhaps the person was never truly born again. Good works naturally spring forth from the new life.

3:9 -- At times I wonder what constitute "foolish controversies," and if election fits into the list given here. However, recognizing God as sovereign and man as sinful is VERY profitable and necessary. In some respects, the very gospel hinges on our understanding of the nature of both God and man. So the answer is: NO. Not on something so clearly taught in scripture. Besides, such a thing does not fit into the context. The false teacher is the guilty one spoken of who brings contentiousness. They quarrel about the law of Moses-- imposing it on the Gentile as a necessary component of salvation. (A little help was gathered from the REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE)

3:10 -- If a person stirs up trouble in a group on something that is contrary to scripture, bring it to his attention. Give him SOME slack, as he may just not know what the deal is and how his teachings fall from the truth. If he continues however, stop him. Otherwise, this is how false doctrine spreads. Pastors... shepherds... watch out for your flock. PLEASE! We (especially in America) are so easily led astray by anyone who seems to be preaching the new book on how to have a best life now so we can find our own purpose. Help guard us from such false teachings. And certainly do not support such teachings.

3:14 -- While good works DO spring forth naturally from the Christian... sometimes it is a good reminder to keep with the fruit. It is tempting to become lazy at times. The desire for works comes with regeneration... yet it is also a learning process in sanctification.


Again, I hope this little series has been a blessing to you. I have found this an interesting exercise personally. I look forward to doing it with other passages in Scripture in the future.

-Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One