On Matthew 10 and the world's hatred for Christians

Matthew 10:20-23
For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

I read this verse today as part of my Bible reading schedule I am currently going through (the NT in 6 months). I pointed this verse out because it is largely glossed over by many pillow "Christians." What do I mean by pillow Christians? I guess I could bring Snuggles back from my previous post, but I am trying to be more creative. Anyway... I digress...

Osteen and other prosperity preachers like to focus on man. A very man-centered gospel is sprung from their mouths. They claim (wrongly) that our biggest enemy is our negative opinions of ourselves. According to Osteen, we must overcome these negative emotions and instead have confidence in ourselves and therefore have better attitudes and relationships with everyone we meet. Am I saying having a good attitude is a bad thing? Certainly not! Mercy, patience, self-control, gentleness... all of these are fruits of the spirit. All are good to have in Christ. However the gospel is not a formula to possess better relationships with friends, coworkers, or family.

Let's look at Jesus as our case study. After all, a student is not above his master. Did Jesus have the best relationships? Well... Jesus' disciples doubted and denied him, his family disowned him, another disciple betrayed him, and the world crucified him on a cross. As Mark Driscoll says, it is safe to say that Jesus had some strained relationships. If all of our relationships with the world are prefect-- that is, they just love us and aren't bothered with us in the least, something is wrong. Most likely, our gospel being preached from our lips has been diluted and therefore is NOT the gospel. The world IS GOING to HATE us if we do the will of God. They will want to KILL US (as they did our Savior).

However we are still to LOVE THEM, and preach Christ crucified, repentance and faith to them, that they may turn and be spared the wrath that is to come-- Hell.

<><

ps: I've decided to post a clip from YouTube from Mark Driscoll on Joel Osteen's message that we are supposed to only have good relationships with all. Please view and enjoy! I hope it is a useful resource for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One