I fail to adhere to the Sermon on the Mount

I am astonished how often people misunderstand the Sermon on the Mount, recorded in Matthew 5, 6 & 7. I have actually heard it claimed this sermon of Jesus isn't preachy... that it is a wonderful piece that shows a fluffy gracious God who seems more like a fictional Santa than Lord. These persons read Matthew 5:3-12, and then it seems their eyes wonder off, or they shut down. To them, Jesus is ONLY someone who cares about the poor, the sorrowful, the meek, the hungry, the the merciful, peacemakers, and persecuted (I skip Mt 5:8, because most probably do-- if they had a concept for what purity was they would view the gospel differently), accepting them as they are!

But wait a minute. Surely Jesus Christ IS concerned with those things! ALL scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in self righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. I do not deny the words of Christ Jesus. Be concerned with the poor? Good thing. It may appear that I do sometimes ignore or at least that I tend to deemphasize this portion of his message. My reasoning is, though, that so many get such a diet of this part, they do not really get any other food. Bananas are good for you. But who claims you are supposed to have a daily diet of them and ONLY them? This is not healthy for bananas, and it is not healthy to only focus on one aspect of Christ's message to an overload.

The Sermon on the Mount is not about Jesus just accepting people like the Snuggle Bear does the snuggley softest of sheets. This is the message the world loves to hear, but it is not so. Some of what Jesus says in Matthew 5 is even appearing to be HARSHER on man and about sin than anything in the Hebrew Bible! You think you are committing adultery when you have sex with that hot married chick? No no... you are guilty of that sin when you THINK about doing it! Just the very THOUGHT is worthy of judgment and God's wrath. You know that thing about not murdering someone? Well, try this one-- if you are unjustly ANGRY with someone and cuss them out, you are GUILTY of MURDER before a Holy God! You think you aren't sinning when you get a divorce? WRONG-- you are sinning, and are guilty before a Holy God. You think it is only sin make an oath and not keep it-- I tell you it is wrong to make an oath AT ALL. You think it is righteous to retaliate when you have been offended? No, for instead you should just be taking it and not responding in kind as you feel like. And those people who hate you and want you dead? Yeah, you need to be praying for them too!

Does any of this sound fluffy and non-confrontational to you? Doubtful. Just when they thought they were up to their beards in laws from the Hebrew Bible, they learn that God cares not only for action but also he cares about the condition of your heart and soul-- your thought life also. Suddenly it is really REALLY obvious that no one is righteous before God. To quote a gentleman and a scholar, John Piper, Everyone is guilty before God! You are guilty, I am guilty, the bus driver is guilty! So so true.

The point of this sermon isn't to give us more laws to follow so that we may be righteous before God on the day of judgment. The point is that NO ONE is righteous, and no one CAN be righteous. All are in dire need of a savior from sin.

I am not setting aside these commands of my Savior for the sake of grace. No way. I just see how helpless I am without Christ. I don't pray for those who persecute me and who pollute the gospel like I should. Instead I find myself wanting them to be ... well, accursed. I often do not find myself yearning for them to repent. I want them to know truth, but I think inside sometimes I don't want them to receive it. What a low view of justice and mercy I have.

I am born into an entire family possessing short fuses. Few times am I a peacemaker. How often do modern-day equivalents to "Racca" leave these lips? Is there possibly a greater adulterer in this world than I? When I get zinged I feel compelled to ZING back even harder. Not only do I feel compelled/tempted... I often do.

God I repent of these sins. Daily I disobey your perfect Word. Of myself I cannot hope to be sanctified in your precious sight. I cannot be pure of heart. I cannot be holy... on my own. Mold me and fit me dear Lord. Give what you command, and command what you will. Let me speak truth boldly, but not be a jerk about it, as I so often come across, doing a dishonor to your precious Holy name. Thank you for giving us your Son, so that through your, all things are possible. Amen.

<><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One