Poetry 303 and more on school

I actually am fairly frustrated with one of my classes.  The class is Poetry 303 and I feel... inhibited.  I do not know if that is really the best word, but I will try it out.  Anyway, the reason I am somewhat down is because the course is directed toward Poetry/creative writing majors or minors.  I am neither.  I had considered minoring in poetry, but recently I have decided that would be a bad idea.  It is not very marketable for me (being a Religious Studies major) AND I do not have the ability honestly.  I write -- and this goes back to how I feel "inhibited" (for lack of a better term) by the course -- I write really for myself.  I do write for other people to enjoy my work-- devotions, theological discourses and defenses of the truth, AND occasionally poetry.  I use writing (or used to anyway... I really am going to start writing more) as an outlet for personal thoughts, and blogging for those thoughts I desire to make (on one level or another) public. 

But I go into this 300-level poetry class, and poetry is no longer about expression.  Apparently now it is about being cutting-edge, intrusive into my out psyche, and there cannot be ANY terms or phrases that have been previously used by other poets throughout history, otherwise it is cliché.  Okay.  I can only come up with so many comparisons that have never been realized on paper before.  Yes, there are some VERY creative writers in that class, but the trend of writing anymore seems to only allow for the gritty--profane language is frequent and a shock value in the topic is of great value to the instructor.  However I do not write about such things.  Even if I were to write about ... say... a sin that is struggled with... writing a poem for the amusement and enjoyment of a class seems unclassy, dirty, and just out right inappropriate.  I have struggled in a course that I thought would be my easiest one all semester, that I do not even need for my major, and will not be needed for whatever minor I decide on!  Great frustration is upon me.

On a happier note, my courses seem to be going better this semester than before.  I am currently sitting on a B in my Music History class.  I received an 84% on my recent Philosophy exam (my previous was an 86%, but it is still a B); my Historical Jesus course ... I am confident I am making a high B that can be easily transformed with a little effort into an A.  And Spanish?  Well... my first test I received an 86% or an 87%.  THIS TIME?  89%!!!  That's a B+!  I am unsure though if my grade will remain a B+ though, as some wrong answers I had put down she later decided to accept them as right answers.  I am unsure if the two answers she is now counting as right (and will put points back into my test) will be enough to edge up my grade on the test from an 89% (B) to a 90% (A).  But I suppose I can hope!  smile_regular  KC even got a B on this test!  I am VERY VERY proud of her--she is showing GREAT improvement.  We aren't done with the class yet though, and need to work even harder in this course.  But I am very thankful for the grades received on the test.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Well that is all for now.  Later days.

<><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One