Some GOOD Podcasts Worth Listening To (Pt 1: Sermons)

I can remember my first real exposure to podcasting.  It was back in 2005 if I am remembering correctly -- for some reason I was with my brother in his van (at the time), driving.... somewhere in Florissant.  And I remembered my brother was playing his iPod over the stereo system via tape-deck adapter.  I was listening to someone talking about Dan Brown's book The DaVinci Code, which was being released as a major motion picture right around that time.  I inquired what we were listening to (I don't remember if I made it seem like I was bored in doing so - I would have rather been listening to music at the time, but I became interested the more I listened) and my brother described what I would later realize as being a podcast.
Ah... podcasting.  No, your iPod (or Zune) is not JUST for listening to music on.  Personally, I have grown in the faith and in maturity QUITE A BIT due to teachings I've heard from podcasts.  Theological shows and sermons alike have driven me deeper into the love and grace of the Lord.  Sermons and other good podcasts can truly help you grow and redeem your time during the day.  How?  You spend 20-30 minutes commuting to and from work... or you walk across campus throughout the day ... why not use that time for something useful?  Get something more out of your time rather than just exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide! Here are some of the podcasts I would recommend for getting into the Word and the Christian Faith...
Sermons / Teaching...

  • Boulevard Baptist Church (Pastor Doug Shivers) - I am biased yes... this is the church Kacey and I attend in Springfield, MO.  But the preaching is outstanding and very Christ-centered.  The congregation  is Southern Baptist, but the pastor is Reformed.  This particular podcast may be a great place to start - there are only two episodes per week (Sunday morning & evening sermons), each somewhere between 35 - 40 minutes long.  Pastor is known for bringing Christ and the gospel out of the text of Scripture as being witty w/out being a stand-up comic found in many congregations today. Recently Pastor Shivers has been doing a weekly survey through the entire Bible – one book a week (more or less, with some breaks when he was out of town, and a mini-series on worship in between the testaments).  Highly recommended.


  • Desiring God (Pastor John Piper) - The pastor of Bethlehem Baptist, this man hardly needs an introduction, nor does his ministry. Among attendees at many Christian conferences, John Piper's books are always among the tops of people's reading lists.  Piper's mission is thus:  God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.  Texts are exegeted with clarity in a way that is easily understandable to all.  Sermons also range somewhere in the 40 minutes range.  However, the podcast has not been updated for a number of months.  SermonAudio (also available on iTunes) has a podcast going with his sermons - though they do not seem to be recent sermons and are instead sermons from his preaching archives. 

  • image 4 Renewing Your Mind (Dr. R.C. Sproul) - Sproul is one of the leading Reformed theologians of the 20th century.  This podcast is more Sunday school lecture than pulpit preaching, so be prepared for more topical and meaty theological discussions rather than proclaiming Christ and Him crucified for the forgiveness of sins.  Still, Dr. Sproul is a wonderful Bible teacher coming from a Presbyterian background rather than a Baptist one.  This podcast is by no means a dry listen... but it is definitely deep.  This is somewhat more show-like in format, as there is an episode every day - each is 26 minutes long, with about 19 minutes of actual content. 

  • image 5Mars Hill Church (Pastor Mark Driscoll) - Driscoll is no stranger to controversy in the Evangelical world.  He is one of the leaders  of the "NeoCalvinist" movement and an excellent communicator to all.  Theologically on the major issues - this guy is spot on!  My growing concern is over the relationship between his Resurgence ministry and the performance/endorsement of Contemplative Prayer ... which may include the goofyness known as Lectio Divina.  ::eye-roll::  I would faithfully follow Driscoll on a weekly basis, sometimes his being the only sermon I would listen to.  I have since cut back a bit, as I do want to get in other teachers as well.  I have yet to hear any serious contemplative content in his sermons though, and he is VERY outspokenly AGAINST the Emergent Church. Only one sermon is out per week... but sermons range from 70 - 90 minutes at times.

… Continued in Part 2: Shows… (coming soon!)

Comments

  1. Ryan,
    If a person wants to keep current with any John Piper podcasts, I suggest they go directly to www.DesiringGod.org to get them.

    David

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith + Works of the Law = Severed from Christ (A look @ Galatians 5, its meaning in context, and how the TNIV/NIV muddies the meanings yet again)

Thought Police Strike Again...

Mere Arminianism – Free Will, Predestination, and CS Lewis – Part One